7 Ways to Inject Romance Into Your Relationship After Kids
Do you remember what you were like as a couple before having children? For so many couples, it can seem like an eternity ago and like you were totally different people.
After having kids (especially in the early days), it does something to your relationship. Between the dirty nappies, sleepless nights, work, organising playdates, your own social calendar, prioritising our relationship, can move down to the bottom of the to do list.
But there are some creative and effective things couples can do, especially if they are time poor and lack the resources to come up with ideas, to rekindle the spark.
Here’s my top 7 tips for couples who feel stuck in a rut after having children;
- Date Night: Plan for a monthly date night where you can both reconnect and create a stronger bond. Having these at home can be just as fun and don’t require a babysitter! Create a theme and do something that you both enjoy. Here are some ideas; indoor picnic, movie night, pamper night, cooking competition, chocolate tasting.
- Laugh and have fun: Step outside of your comfort zone and do something that makes you both laugh and most importantly have fun with one another.
- Make time for intimate moments: The only way to stay in love and keep that marital connection is through the intimate moments. Make this a priority, even if you need to schedule some sexy time in. Our Love Struck Box is everything you need for an intimate night in.
- Conversation: As hard as it may be, don’t talk about your kids. Talk about what your partner did for you today that made you smile or what you would like to do more of in your relationship. Take time at the end of the day to just talk.
- Stop & remember: With our lives so busy, it’s important to take the time to stop and remember what you both loved about each other before kids and show appreciation.
- No phones: Agree when you would like to implement the no phone rule. Is it at the dinner table, in bed or during a coffee date? With so many distractions happening around us, the phone doesn’t need to be one of them and can allow time for genuine connection.
- Weekly dates: Rotate who plans these. It doesn’t need to blow the budget and can be spontaneous. It can be as simple as a stroll around the block when the kids are at school or coffee and conversation at home when they are taking a nap. These quick dates can help to reconnect and talk about your week.
At Box’d Night In we know how challenging it can be on your relationship when kids arrive!!
We are a couple in the midst of crazy life with two young kids and understand it can be challenging at times to get out the door! We needed a date night from the comfort of our own home — that is, something already planned and ready for us, because we lacked the time to figure it out ourselves (and if it shows up at our front door, that’s a bonus!). We knew we could make this a reality for couples like us, and Box’d Night In was born.